From September 2013 all holidays taken in term time will be unauthorised only in exceptional circumstance will a holiday be authorised at the discretion of the Headteacher. Holiday forms are not completed and sent to the Headteacher for approval before the time of absence. Any forms filled in retrospectively will be declined. Parents are urged strongly to avoid taking family holidays during term time. Indeed parents do not have the right to take their child out of school for such a holiday. If, however, parents apply to the school in advance using the appropriate request form the school may grant up to two weeks (10 school days) term-time absence in any academic year to go on a family holiday. Apart from this, leave in term time can only be given in exceptional circumstances.
In considering a request for leave for a family holiday in term time the school will consider each application individually, taking account of:
- The age of the child,
- The time of year proposed for the trip,
- Its nature and parental wishes,
- The overall attendance pattern of the pupil,
- The child’s stage of education and progress.
Holidays will not normally be authorised by the school if:
- The pupils are preparing for or taking important tests. This is most relevant to Y1, Y2 and Y6 pupils who will be preparing for tests from September until June when the tests themselves are administered. No absence will be authorised for pupils during the testing period as the Headteacher is legally bound to ensure that all eligible pupils are entered for the tests on the specified dates.
- Pupils have already been granted 5 days leave of absence in that academic year.
- A pupil has been absent from school for other reasons causing their attendance to be monitored.
All parents are strongly advised to refrain from taking their child/children out of school at the beginning of a new academic year when routines and practices are set up for the year
In exceptional circumstances parents may be granted leave of absence for their child but be requested to ensure that certain work is undertaken by the child during the period of absence.
Please click here to view our 2018-2019 yearly calendar.
Please click here to view our 2019-2020 yearly calendar.
School Holidays 2019-2020 – Statement from Nicholas Postgate Catholic Academy Trust:
Nicholas Postgate Catholic Academy Trust has high expectations for attendance and this includes the fair and consistent application of the ‘Leave of Absence in Term Time policy’. By adjusting the term time dates, the Trust is trying to work with parents and reduce the need to issue penalty notices where leave of absence in term time is taken, particularly in September. We would hope these term dates allow our families the flexibility to take a holiday. Please be advised, where there is a leave of absence taken in term time, this will be taken seriously and the matter forwarded to the relevant local authority, for consideration of the issue of fines.